Welcome to the Watcher’s Council, a blogging group consisting of some of the most incisive blogs in the ‘sphere, and the longest running group of its kind in existence. Every week, the members nominate two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council.Then we vote on the best two posts, with the results appearing on Friday.
This week’s contest is dedicated to the spirit of true atonement and redemption for all men and women of good will. For those of you whom celebrate that virtue tonight, gmar hatima tovah.
You can, too! Want to see your work appear on the Watcher’s Council homepage in our weekly contest listing? Didn’t get nominated by a Council member? No worries.
Simply head over to Joshuapundit and post the title a link to the piece you want considered along with an e-mail address (which won’t be published) in the comments section no later than Monday 6PM PST in order to be considered for our honorable mention category. Then just return the favor by creating a post on your site linking to the Watcher’s Council contest for the week when it appears Wednesday morning.
It’s a great way of exposing your best work to Watcher’s Council readers and Council members. while grabbing the increased traffic and notoriety. And how good is that, eh?
So, let’s see what we have this week….
- Joshuapundit - Shoot The Messenger – US State Dept Blasts CNN For Revealing Its Misrepresentations On Libya Attack
- The Noisy Room – Obama’s Hidden Bread Lines
- Simply Jews – Lying again, Ms Clinton?
- The Political Commentator – Obama: Wartime is the wrong time to be led by a metrosexual President!
- The Independent Sentinel – Obama’s Tax Plan From the Depths of Hell Will Impoverish the Middle Class
- The Mellow Jihadi – Kurds, Kurdish, and Kurdistan
- The Colossus of Rhodey – Boss Obama’s alternate reality
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – Test of Governance
- The Glittering Eye – Curve Fitting
- Bookworm Room – Proof that Obama has lost his love for the little country of Israel
- VA Right! - Normalized Polls Show Romney up by 7 Points!
- Rhymes With Right – Where Obama Got It Wrong At The UN
- The Razor – The Obama You Don’t Know
- The Right Planet – Keep It Classy … Top State Department Official Emails Reporter to Tell Him to ‘F**k Off’
- Gay Patriot – Legacy media attempting to demoralize Republican voters?
- Right Truth – Why does this keep happening to us?
- Ask Marion – Calling All Concerned Americans to Stand-Up
- The Pirates Cove – Obama Speaks At UN, Whines About Video And Stuff
- Against All Enemies – George Washington’s Farewell Address and Where We Are Today
- Mark Steyn – Bowing To The Mob submitted by Joshuapundit
- Sultan Knish – Muslim Multiculturalism and Western Post-Nationalism submitted by The Noisy Room
- The Texas Scribbler – Obama: the architect of American decline submitted by Simply Jews
- Boker Tov, Boulder - Ew, Jew Noise submitted by The Political Commentator
- Yid With Lid – Obama Calls Israeli Concern Over Iran “Noise” to Be Ignored Ahmadinejad Agrees submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Gunmart Blog – Remember those “Racist” Stand Your Ground Laws? submitted by The Mellow Jihadi
- Truth Before Dishonor – Binyamin Netanyahu: ‘Do you want these fanatics to have nuclear weapons? submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Pruden And Politics – Why the media spin on Nov. 6 is wrong submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Noahpinion – EconoTrolls: An Illustrated Bestiary submitted by The Glittering Eye
- National Review -A Woman of Parts submitted by Bookworm Room
- Breitbart.Com – Tech; Meet the New Left, Same As The Old Left submitted by VA Right!
- Big Lizards – Story Wars, Chapter Two submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Michael Totten – Terrorist Veto submitted by The Razor
- Charles Cameron/Zenpundit – Of films, riots and hatred I: Benedict XVI in Lebanon submitted by The Watcher (h/t, Dave at The Glittering Eye)
- Commentary – Peace Means Justice for Jewish Refugees submitted by The Watcher
America needs Day of Atonement
Exclusive: Joseph Farah urges Christians to commemorate the Feasts of Yahweh
They call it a Jewish holiday – Yom Kippur.
It’s the Day of Atonement, all right, but it’s not just for Jews. As Leviticus 23 makes clear, today is not a Jewish holiday, it’s one of the Feasts of the Lord, or, more precisely, one of the Feasts of Yahweh.
In other words, it’s for everyone who believes in the One True God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.
Christians should especially find it appealing, since they believe in the forgiveness of sins by the one they consider to be the Jewish Messiah.
What has become increasingly clear to be in my study of the Bible over the years is that Jesus – or Yeshua, as He was known to his brethren – did not come to Earth in human form as the Son of God to start a new religion called Christianity, which, after all simply means followers of the Messiah.
Yeshua came to fulfill the promises of the Hebrew prophets. Neither he nor anyone else in the Bible ever suggested we should celebrate His birthday on Dec. 25 – the traditional birthday of the pagan deities Tammuz and Mithra. Neither He nor anyone else in the Bible ever suggested we should celebrate the Babylonian holiday of Ishtar, or Easter. In fact, neither He nor anyone else in the Bible ever suggested we should observe Sunday as the Sabbath.
These were all traditions of men trying to blend pagan cultures with a touch of Christianity.
But the God of the Bible doesn’t like mixing pagan mythology with His commandments or pagan holidays with his appointed feasts.
That’s why it may surprise some of you that this Christian, this follower of Yeshua Ha’Maschiach, is observing Yom Kippur today – the Day of Atonement. My family will fast and pray just like Jews around the world and more and more Christians who are rediscovering the Hebrew roots of their faith.
The Day of Atonement is a high holiday – a Sabbath. I’m not working today until sundown. And I stopped working yesterday at sundown. That’s because by God’s reckoning of time, the day begins at sundown, not sun up and not midnight.
What I am saying to Bible believers is that God doesn’t want us celebrating our pagan holidays. He expects us, however, to observe His divine appointments. Those come weekly at sundown Friday from sundown Saturday. And there are additional spring and fall feasts, or appointed times, like Yom Kippur, in which we are called out to meet Him.
Some modern American Christians might arrogantly suggest they don’t have to atone for any sins because Jesus already did that for them. While it’s true that Yeshua died for the sins of those who make Him Lord of their life, that atonement doesn’t come without sincere repentance.
And repentance is not a one-time act. It’s not a collection of magic words we say one time in our lives so that we have license to sin some more. Repentance is a continual process, because we all fall short of the mark.
It’s not just individuals who need a Day of Atonement.
In ancient Israel the high priests prayed for the sins of the nation, too.
America could take a lesson from that experience.
We are a nation in moral free fall.
We’ve lost our ability to discern right from wrong.
We don’t even accept that there is such a thing as sin anymore. Sinners are just those practicing alternate lifestyles.
But this can’t go on forever – just as it couldn’t go on forever in ancient Israel when the nation went adrift.
God is longsuffering because He loves us. But like any good parent, He will not enable His children forever. He will discipline them in an attempt to bring them back to His authority – not wishing any should perish.
So if you think today is just another Jewish holiday, think again.
Today is one of your God’s feasts, one of His appointed times. He wants to meet with you. He wants to bring you back into covenant with Him.