The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
“If men could learn from history, what lessons it might teach us! But passion and party blind our eyes, and the light which experience gives us is a lantern on the stern which shines only on the waves behind.” “ – Samuel Taylor Coleridge
Those whom do not remember history are doomed to repeat it – George Santayana
“The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerated the growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself. That in its essence is fascism.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt
This week’s winning essay,The Right Planet’s – Which ‘Ism’ Will We Choose? is about creeping totalitarianism, witha comparison with how its taken over in the past to events today.
Here’s a slice:
Godwin’s Law … it goes a little something like this:
“… [I]f an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Hitler or Nazism….”
Undoubtedly, there is a certain amount of truth in Godwin’s adage. Since World War II, there probably has not been a U.S. president who hasn’t been directly compared to Adolf Hitler, at some point or another. As a matter of fact, it didn’t take me very long to dig up Hitler memes and analogies for a number of U.S. president via a Google search.
Often times such direct comparisons of U.S. presidents to Hitler are grossly hyperbolic at best, and utterly unconscionable at worst. Despite the fact how one may feel about current and past presidents, equating them on the same level with one of the worst monsters in human history does indeed minimize the terrible suffering of those who fell under the tyrannical and brutal reign of Adolf Hitler and the Nazis.
Adolf Hitler and his henchmen have come to represent the epitome of evil, and rightly so. Nazism has become the benchmark used to measure all things evil. The question for me is not whether a current president is on equal par with Adolf Hitler. I don’t happen to believe any U.S. president, present or past, is as guilty of murderous and ruthless fanaticism as Adolf Hitler—on that point, let me be clear. My point is that Hitler and his notorious Third Reich provides the ultimate yardstick by which we can measure how far a government or nation is marching down the road toward total state control and merciless dictatorship. The mere act of using the Nazis as a measuring stick is not equating the thing being measured as being necessarily one and the same. Instead, the question for me is whether the U.S.A. is moving away from fascism or toward it. If we examine the rise and fall of Hitler’s Third Reich from a historical perspective, how does it compare to what we see going on today? This is a valid exercise—and a necessary one, in my opinion.
Perhaps someone who experienced the oppression and horrors of Nazism is better able to illustrate my points. I’ll just throw in a few of modern-day examples for consideration as well.
Kitty Werthmann, 87, survived World War II. She was an Austrian citizen and lived under Nazi rule throughout the war. A few years back she spoke to an American audience about her experiences during the war, and how the current political climate in this country greatly concerns her. She strongly feels the need to warn Americans about the horrors of socialism.
In her opening comments (see video above), Kitty Werthmann points out how Western media often times portrays Hitler’s annexation of Austria with Germany in 1938 (Anschluss) as an armed invasion, replete with troops and tanks. Without a doubt, German troops did indeed move into Austria at the time. But what is often overlooked, according to c, is the fact that the Austrian people overwhelmingly elected Adolf Hitler by ninety-eight percent of the vote—by means of the ballot box. How could this happen? What would lead Austria—a predominately Christian nation—to elect a monster like Adolf Hitler?
In the late 30s, Austria was in a very deep depression, with thirty percent unemployment, and twenty-five percent inflation. Austrian banks were charging twenty-five percent interest on loans. Businesses and farmers were going broke. Austrians could not afford to pay their taxes. Unions were calling for strikes; and factories were being closed down. Worse yet, the financial chaos was leading to riots in the cities. Entire blocks were burned down. Austrian police were ill-equipped to stop the ongoing destruction, according to Kitty Werthmann.
As Austria descended into despair, the Austrian people looked to their neighbor in the north, Germany, and saw full employment and a high-standard of living. As Kitty Werthmann puts it (emphasis added), “Hitler did not act like a monster; he did not speak like a monster; he spoke like an American politician.”
The Austrian people petitioned their government for a plebiscite (an election) to merge Nazi Germany with Austria. Besides—despite what Barack Obama might believe (cf. sarcasm)—the Austrians didn’t speak “Austrian”; they spoke German. The Austrians and Germans had a common heritage.
What is particularly chilling about Kitty Werthmann’s recollections, are the disturbing similarities of the policies implemented by the Nazis in Austria to the current policies and initiatives being instituted and promoted right here in the United States today.
For example, one of the first policies implemented by the Nazis in Austria was a National I.D. Austrians could not board a train or bus without showing their National I.D. card.
Following 9/11, the U.S. federal government “began to look at ways to increase security surrounding state identification cards and driver’s licenses,” allegedly “in an attempt to prevent further terrorism and/or unlawful entry into and out of the country.”
More at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Mark Steyn’s pungent comments on the Garland, Texas terrorist attack and the reaction to it in certain quarters, Mark Steyn – Stay Quiet and You’ll Be Okay” submitted by The Noisy Room. It’s Mark Steyn at his best.
Here are this week’s full results. Both Ask Marion and The Independent Sentinel were unable to vote this week, but neither was affected by the usual 2/3 vote penalty for not voting:
- *First place with 2 2/3 votes!–The Right Planet – Which ‘Ism’ Will We Choose?
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – Nice Deb – Video: Megyn Kelly Blasts “Fundamentally Confused and Wrong” Lib On Free Speech
- Third place with 2 votes –Don Surber – Melvin Garten, most decorated soldier, dies at 93
- Fourth place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Bookworm Room – Will American capitalism be a victim of the rise of fascism-lite and the devaluation of language
- Fourth place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Joshuapundit – How The Clintons Exploited Disaster In Haiti For Profit
- Fifth place with 2/3 vote – The Noisy Room – Cities On Fire – Dallas/Garland
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –VA Right! – Bill “Waffle Willie” Janis Birthday Breakfast has Cost Taxpayers $4,409,686,125.00 ($4.5 Billion) AND COUNTING!!!
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote –The Glittering Eye – The Poorest In The United States
- First place with 3 2/3 votes! –Mark Steyn – Stay Quiet and You’ll Be Okay” submitted by The Noisy Room
- Second place with 1 1/3 votes – American Digest – In Praise of Pamela Geller submitted by Joshuapundit
- Third place *t* with 1 vote –The Hoover Institution – The Sordid Origin of Hate-Speech Laws submitted by The Right Planet
- Third place *t* with 1 vote – Victor Davis Hanson – The First — And A Half — Amendment submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – David French/NRO – I’m More Hateful Than Pamela Geller submitted by Nice Deb
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Thomas Sowell – Race, Politics, And Lies submitted by Don Surber
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Richard Dreyfuss/PJMedia – Election Coming: Nobody Knows Anything submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Allen West – More ominous signs of Christian persecution submitted by The Watcher
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – The Diplomat – What the Pentagon Thinks of China’s Military submitted by The Watcher
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Gay Patriot – Gays Provoke Muslims into Killing Them submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote – Kirsten Powers/Daily Beast – How Liberals Ruined College submitted by The Watcher
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum. and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the weeks’ nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.
And don’t forget to like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter..’cause we’re cool like that, y’know?