The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this week’s Watcher’s Council match up.
“Breathes there the man, with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
This is my own, my native land!
Whose heart hath ne’er within him burn’d,
As home his footsteps he hath turn’d
From wandering on a foreign strand!
If such there breathe, go, mark him well;
For him no Minstrel raptures swell;
High though his titles, proud his name,
Boundless his wealth as wish can claim;
Despite those titles, power, and pelf,
The wretch, concentred all in self,
Living, shall forfeit fair renown,
And, doubly dying, shall go down
To the vile dust, from whence he sprung,
Unwept, unhonour’d, and unsung. “ -Sir Walter Scott
Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory. – General George S. Patton
“I was only the servant of my country and had I, at any moment, failed to express her unflinching resolve to fight and conquer, I should at once have been rightly cast aside. – Sir Winston Churchill
But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not look on his appearance or on the height of his stature, because I have rejected him. For the Lord sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the Lord looks on the heart.” – 1 Samuel 16:7
This week’s winning essay,Joshuapundit’s Is President Obama A Christian? Does He Love America? was my reaction to the question raised by former NY Mayor Rudy Giuliani and the media meltdown that followed. Here’s a slice:
Former NYC Mayor Rudy Giuliani created a press-fueled tempest in a teapot when he raised those issues at a private dinner. As you know, only Democrats and Leftists are entitled to private conversations and secrecy even the Mafia would envy. And of course, to the freedom to express their opinions no matter how bat sh*t crazy they are. Rudy Giuliani obviously doesn’t qualify for that kind of protection.
Of course the press leaped on this. The current administration and its minions are free to refer to ‘right wing Tea Partiers’ as terrorists and to deride a serving US General commanding a combat operation as ‘General Betray Us’ in the New York Times, but again, the rule for Democrats and the Left is that you may never question their patriotism under any circumstances, no matter what they say or do.
Having pretty much struck out trying to smear GOP front runner Governor Scott Walker for not undergoing four years or more of Leftist indoctrination at someplace like Harvard, Yale, Columbia or Princeton, the Obama media decided to grab at another straw and make a point of asking Governor Walker if he thought this president was a Christian.
His quite sensible reply was that he didn’t know, and as Byron York pointed out, a fair amount of Americans don’t know either. I suppose it all depends on whether you consider Reverend Jeremiah Wright’s Trinity United Church with its radical politics and its anti-Semitic and racialist overtones ‘Christian.’ Or whether you’re confused about a president who defends Islam and Islamists at every turn while dissing Christianity and standing by and doing nothing while Christians are being ethnically cleansed from the Middle East by those peaceful Islamists.
But at any rate, the only way to know for sure would be to look inside this president’s head and heart, and Walker was astute in simply saying he wasn’t going to attempt that.
Now, does this president love America? Again, like the question about Christianity, it all depends on what your definition of loving America is.
In his memoir about his time as Secretary of Defense in the Bush and Obama Administrations, Robert Gates chronicled his struggle to contain his rage as former Democrat Senators and 2008 presidential candidates Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Joe Biden chuckled to Gates about how their efforts during the second Bush administration to sabotage America’s war effort in Iraq and the Surge in particular while our troops were under fire were ‘hah hah,just politics, ho ho.’ As Gates related, these efforts along with their calculated attempts to insult and emasculate its commander General Petraeus literally cost American lives.
Now again, some people are going to say ‘what difference does it make?’ Others would be outraged at this and a lot of other things that have happened in this administration.
So you see, it all depends on your point of view.
But walk with me a minute.
Let’s say,just for giggles, we elected a president who actually didn’t love the country, but whose agenda could more accurately be described in one word – payback.
How would such a president behave?
Much more at the link.
In our non-Council category, the winner was the one and only Mark Steyn with Oh Beautiful For Specious Guys submitted by The Noisy Room.
Steyn exercises his usual mastery at getting to the heart of the matter, in this case the Obama Administration’s craven response to
violent, radical Islamism uhhh, ‘violent extremism’ that dares not speak its name. A must read.
Here are this week’s full results. Only the Right Planet was unable to vote this week, but was not subject to the usual 2/3 vote penalty for not voting:
- *First place with 3 votes! – Joshuapundit – Is President Obama A Christian? Does He Love America?
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – Bookworm Room – Hey, Sweden! How’s that open immigration and PC-multiculturalism working out in your faux-socialist land?
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – Nice Deb – Al Sisi and Haftar Fight ISIS in Libya With No Help From US – While Obama Meets With Muslim Brotherhood
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes – The Right Planet – Doomed To Repeat…
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – China’s Attack Strategy: Swarm Baby, Swarm
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Noisy Room – The Russian Bear Moves In Next Door
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – VA Right! – Is Obama a Christian or a Muslim? What Do His Deeds Say?
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Rhymes With Right – Is Obama A Christian
- Fifth place with 1/3 votes –Ask Marion – Texas Is Leading the Way to Stop President Obama’s Illegal Amnesty
- First place with 3 votes! – Mark Steyn –Oh Beautiful For Specious Guys submitted by The Noisy Room
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – Jonah Goldberg – Progressives’ Peculiar Sense of Patriotism submitted by Joshuapundit
- Third place with 1 2/3 votes – Warrior Lodge – A French Soldier’s View of US Soldiers in Afghanistan submitted by The Right Planet
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes –Sultan Knish – We Can Kill Our Way to Victory submitted by The Independent Sentinel
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – Bobby Ghoush/Defense One – Why Arab Ground Troops Won’t Defeat ISIS submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Fourth place *t* with 2/3 votes – The People’s Cube – Quran-Quran: glam band puts a face to the Muslim Invasion submitted by The Razor
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Roll Call – McConnell Throws in Towel on DHS Fight, but Reid Is Waiting for Boehner to Cave (Updated submitted by VA Right!
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Gay Patriot – Liberals Really Are Less Patriotic than Conservatives submitted by Rhymes with Right
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –DC Clothesline – Jobs for Jihadists’ Applications Flood State Department submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Fifth place *t* with 1/3 vote –Mister Chambers – Onward To Defeat submitted by The Watcher
See you next week!
Make sure to tune in every Monday for the Watcher’s Forum. and every Tuesday morning, when we reveal the weeks’ nominees for Weasel of the Week!
And remember, every Wednesday, the Council has its weekly contest with the members nominating two posts each, one written by themselves and one written by someone from outside the group for consideration by the whole Council. The votes are cast by the Council, and the results are posted on Friday morning.
It’s a weekly magazine of some of the best stuff written in the blogosphere, and you won’t want to miss it...or any of the other fantabulous Watcher’s Council content.