Just One More Pet: Marijuana laced food products, or stash left out, is making more and more dogs (pets) sick.
Who would have thought that making marijuana or even medical marijuana legal would affect the canine or pet population?
It seems that is exactly what is happening as more and more dogs are becoming sick from ingesting marijuana in states where marijuana has become legalized.
The NY Daily News reports that Colorado has seen a mass increase in the harmful ingestion of marijuana by dogs. This can be a deadly process and often occurs when dogs eat a marijuana-laced food product.
While in many cases, dogs will feel sick for a day or so, vets have seen dogs die from it and incidents of emergency vet visits has increased by a third.
Veterinarian Dr. Debbie Van Pelt, who works at the Veterinary Specialty and Emergency Hospital in Englewood, Colorado, says she has witnessed the increase on the rise:
“There are huge spikes in the frequency of marijuana ingestion [among pets] in places where it’s become legal. When dogs get into their owner’s stash, they can get sick, staggering and vomiting. They basically [lose] a lot of their fine motor control, they have a wide-based stance and they are not sure on their feet.”
An additional growing concern is weight gain. Many pets are gaining huge amounts of weight because of the munchies which pets are also getting when they ingest marijuana.
Veterinarians warn owners to keep marijuana (any drugs and alcohol) out of your dog’s reach as you would any other drug, especially when it is contained in food, which dogs will be more inclined to eat.