Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D., Calif.) speaks during a news conference on Capitol Hill in Washington, Thursday, Jan. 24, 2013, to introduce legislation on certain semiautomatic weapons and high-capacity magazines. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta)
Sen. Dianne Feinstein along with several fellow Democrats and a group of police officers and gun victims unveiled legislation Thursday that would restrict access to firearms, presenting an organized front in the face of opposition from the gun lobby. So How Do These Gun Totting Libs Justify Their Anti-Gun Stance and Legislation?
One by one, the California lawmaker and her co-sponsors said that a ban on certain semiautomatic weapons would help stop gun massacres. Many of bill’s sponsors are longtime gun-control advocates, and have become more determined to reinstate a ban on semiautomatic weapons deemed assault weapons after the December shootings in Newtown, Conn., that left 20 schoolchildren and six school staff members dead, as well as the alleged shooter and his mother.
“Our weak gun laws allow these mass killings to be carried out again and again and again,” Ms. Feinstein said.
“Newtown is a call to action,” Senator Richard Blumenthal (D., Conn.) said, acknowledging that passing the bill “will be a hard fight.”
The initiative faces an uphill climb in Congress given opposition from Republicans and gun-state Democrats. The influential National Rifle Association said in a statement Thursday that “it’s disappointing but not surprising that she is once again focused on curtailing the Constitution instead of prosecuting criminals or fixing our broken mental health system. The American people know gun bans do not work and we are confident Congress will reject Senator Feinstein’s wrong-headed approach.”
The ban would target an estimated 158 specific weapons. The prohibition would also apply to other semiautomatic weapons with certain features, such as compatibility with detachable, large-capacity magazines. Under the measure, it also would be illegal to make, import or sell magazines that can accept more than 10 rounds.
“If they’re not in the stores, they can’t be bought,” said Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D., N.Y.), who has a reputation as the loudest advocate for gun-control laws in the House. Her husband was killed and her son severely injured in a 1993 shooting.
Mindful of opposition, the Democrats said they don’t intend to take away guns from hunters and sportsmen.
Philadelphia Police Chief Charles Ramsey joined the press conference to throw his weight behind the legislation.
“Twenty children slaughtered at one time in a school house,” Mr. Ramsey said. “If the slaughter of 20 babies does not capture and hold your attention, then I give up because I don’t know what else will.” Really? So how come nothing that President Obama proposed in his gun control speech would have helped to prevent the shooting or the deaths?
Former FBI Informant Says: Obama Will Destroy America Once He Has All The Guns… as Details of False Flag and Conspiracy in Connecticut Shooting Appear
Biden: It’s Gun Safety, Not Gun Control… Really?
NRA: Feinstein Goes For Broke With New Gun-Ban Bill
Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.)—author of the federal “assault weapon” and “large” ammunition magazine ban of 1994-2004—has announced that on the first day of the new Congress—January 3rd— she will introduce a bill to which her 1994 ban will pale by comparison. On Dec. 17th, Feinstein said, “I have been working with my staff for over a year on this legislation” and “It will be carefully focused.” Indicating the depth of her research on the issue, she said on Dec. 21st that she had personally looked at pictures of guns in 1993, and again in 2012.
According to a Dec. 27th posting on Sen. Feinstein’s website and a draft of the bill obtained by NRA-ILA, the new ban would, among other things, adopt new definitions of "assault weapon" that would affect a much larger variety of firearms, require current owners of such firearms to register them with the federal government under the National Firearms Act, and require forfeiture of the firearms upon the deaths of their current owners. Some of the changes in Feinstein’s new bill are as follows:
- Reduces, from two to one, the number of permitted external features on various firearms. The 1994 ban permitted various firearms to be manufactured only if they were assembled with no more than one feature listed in the law. Feinstein’s new bill would prohibit the manufacture of the same firearms with even one of the features.
- Adopts new lists of prohibited external features. For example, whereas the 1994 ban applied to a rifle or shotgun the "pistol grip" of which "protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon," the new bill would drastically expand the definition to include any "grip . . . or any other characteristic that can function as a grip." Also, the new bill adds "forward grip" to the list of prohibiting features for rifles, defining it as "a grip located forward of the trigger that functions as a pistol grip." Read literally and in conjunction with the reduction from two features to one, the new language would apply to every detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifle. At a minimum, it would, for example, ban all models of the AR-15, even those developed for compliance with California’s highly restrictive ban.
- Carries hyperbole further than the 1994 ban. Feinstein’s 1994 ban listed "grenade launcher" as one of the prohibiting features for rifles. Her 2013 bill carries goes even further into the ridiculous, by also listing "rocket launcher." Such devices are restricted under the National Firearms Act and, obviously, are not standard components of the firearms Feinstein wants to ban. Perhaps a subsequent Feinstein bill will add "nuclear bomb," "particle beam weapon," or something else equally far-fetched to the features list.
- Expands the definition of "assault weapon" by including:
- Three very popular rifles: The M1 Carbine (introduced in 1944 and for many years sold by the federal government to individuals involved in marksmanship competition), a model of the Ruger Mini-14, and most or all models of the SKS.
- Any "semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds," except for tubular-magazine .22s.
- Any "semiautomatic, centerfire, or rimfire rifle that has an overall length of less than 30 inches," any "semiautomatic handgun with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds," and any semi-automatic handgun that has a threaded barrel.
- Requires owners of existing "assault weapons" to register them with the federal government under the National Firearms Act (NFA). The NFA imposes a $200 tax per firearm, and requires an owner to submit photographs and fingerprints to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE), to inform the BATFE of the address where the firearm will be kept, and to obtain the BATFE’s permission to transport the firearm across state lines.
- Prohibits the transfer of “assault weapons.” Owners of other firearms, including those covered by the NFA, are permitted to sell them or pass them to heirs. However, under Feinstein’s new bill, “assault weapons” would remain with their current owners until their deaths, at which point they would be forfeited to the government.
- Prohibits the domestic manufacture and the importation of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds of ammunition. The 1994 ban allowed the importation of such magazines that were manufactured before the ban took effect. Whereas the 1994 ban protected gun owners from errant prosecution by making the government prove when a magazine was made, the new ban includes no such protection. The new ban also requires firearm dealers to certify the date of manufacture of any >10-round magazine sold, a virtually impossible task, given that virtually no magazines are stamped with their date of manufacture.
- Targets handguns in defiance of the Supreme Court. The Court ruled in District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment protects the right to have handguns for self-defense, in large part on the basis of the fact handguns are the type of firearm “overwhelmingly chosen by American society for that lawful purpose.” Semi-automatic pistols, which are the most popular handguns today, are designed to use detachable magazines, and the magazines “overwhelmingly chosen” by Americans for self-defense are those that hold more than 10 rounds. Additionally, Feinstein’s list of nearly 1,000 firearms exempted by name (see next paragraph) contains not a single handgun. Sen. Feinstein advocated banning handguns before being elected to the Senate, though she carried a handgun for her own personal protection.
- Contains a larger piece of window dressing than the 1994 ban. Whereas the 1994 ban included a list of approximately 600 rifles and shotguns exempted from the ban by name, the new bill’s list is increased to nearly 1,000 rifles and shotguns. Other than for the 11 detachable-magazine semi-automatic rifles and one other semi-automatic rifle included in the list, however, the list appears to be pointless, because a separate provision of the bill exempts “any firearm that is manually operated by bolt, pump, lever, or slide action.”
The Department of Justice study. On her website, Feinstein claims that a study for the DOJ found that the 1994 ban resulted in a 6.7 percent decrease in murders. To the contrary, this is what the study said: “At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders. Our best estimate is that the ban contributed to a 6.7 percent decrease in total gun murders between 1994 and 1995. . . . However, with only one year of post-ban data, we cannot rule out the possibility that this decrease reflects chance year-to-year variation rather than a true effect of the ban. Nor can we rule out effects of other features of the 1994 Crime Act or a host of state and local initiatives that took place simultaneously.”
“Assault weapon” numbers and murder trends. From the imposition of Feinstein’s “assault weapon” ban (Sept. 13, 1994) through the present, the number of “assault weapons” has risen dramatically. For example, the most common firearm that Feinstein considers an “assault weapon” is the AR-15 rifle, the manufacturing numbers of which can be gleaned from the BATFE’s firearm manufacturer reports, available here. From 1995 through 2011, the number of AR-15s—all models of which Feinstein’s new bill defines as “assault weapons”—rose by over 2.5 million. During the same period, the nation’s murder rate fell 48 percent, to a 48-year low. According to the FBI, 8.5 times as many people are murdered with knives, blunt objects and bare hands, as with rifles of any type.
Traces: Feinstein makes several claims, premised on firearm traces, hoping to convince people that her 1994 ban reduced the (relatively infrequent) use of “assault weapons” in crime. However, traces do not indicate how often any type of gun is used in crime. As the Congressional Research Service and the BATFE have explained, not all firearms that are traced have been used in crime, and not all firearms used in crime are traced. Whether a trace occurs depends on whether a law enforcement agency requests that a trace be conducted. Given that existing “assault weapons” were exempted from the 1994 ban and new “assault weapons” continued to be made while the ban was in effect, any reduction in the percentage of traces accounted for by “assault weapons” during the ban, would be attributable to law enforcement agencies losing interest in tracing the firearms, or law enforcement agencies increasing their requests for traces on other types of firearms, as urged by the BATFE for more than a decade.
Call Your U.S. Senators and Representative: As noted, Feinstein intends to introduce her bill on January 3rd. President Obama has said that gun control will be a “central issue” of his final term in office, and he has vowed to move quickly on it.
Contact your members of Congress at 202-224-3121 to urge them to oppose Sen. Feinstein’s 2013 gun and magazine ban. Our elected representatives in Congress must hear from you if we are going to defeat this gun ban proposal. You can write your Representatives and Senators by using our Write Your Representatives tool here: http://www.nraila.org/get-involved-locally/grassroots/write-your-reps.aspx
Millions of Americans own so-called “assault weapons” and tens of millions own "large" magazines, for self-defense, target shooting, and hunting. For more information about the history of the “assault weapon” issue, please visit www.GunBanFacts.com.
Print – Share on print, Email – Share on email, Please Share…
MILLER: Tax dollars for gun control Sneaky executive order bankrolls anti-Second Amendment
Obama’s Campaign Arm to Live On… Campaign Team to Morph Into Non-Profit Propaganda Arm) Promoting Gun Control (confiscation), Immigration Reform, etc…
Innocents Betrayed – The History of Gun Control
A Superstar In NY==> State Senator Greg Ball Eviscerates Cuomo After Gun Control Law Passes
Sandy Hook Hoax and Cover-up… to Promote Obama’s Gun Control Agenda
Sandy Hook Planned: Video Tribute Video Uploaded Weeks Before Massacre
NRA Releases List of Celebrities, Organizations that Support Gun Control
HR 11654 Invalidates all So-Called Gun Control Laws
Gun Control is Genocide – documentary by Mike Adams
Stampeding Gun Control Through Crisis
Obama Seeks US Congressional Ratification of UN Global Gun Control Treaty
New Documents Suggest Gun Control Agenda Behind Fast and Furious Scandal
Global gun control law pushed by Clinton – Updated
John Bolton: Gun control a top goal of Obama 2nd Term
Obama Not Only the Food Stamp President but also the Gun Sale President
It Isn’t About the Guns… It Is About Control… Controlling You!
Gun Appreciation Day Rallies Throughout U.S.
This Is How a Secret Gun Provision Made its Way Into Obamacare Legislation
Wondering What Happened With Obama’s Watered-Down Gun Speech? After Biden Said Obama To Sign 19 Executive Orders On Guns, Including Assault Rifle Ban
Shocker! ‘Vaccine’ prevents gun violence
400 Texas Teachers Turn Out for Free Concealed Handgun License Course
Chicago: 446 school age children shot so far this year with strongest gun laws in country – media silent
The Journal News Gets Guns after Aiding and Abetting Criminals
A primer on gun myths for the liberals you know
Creating an Incident… Ignoring the Facts… Manipulating the Public… Controlling the Media
Christianity & Gun Owners in the Crosshairs: Chilling Tactic Exposed
She survived Hitler and wants to warn America
EXCLUSIVE! Benghazi GUN-RUNNING & The Russia, China, Iran, Syria PIPELINE
Blaze Magazine Exclusive: Will the Constitution (and Gun Rights) Be Disarmed?
The Aurora, Colorado shootings: Gun Rights vs. Gun Confiscation: You Decide!
Gun Control Dictator Style – Tyrants Who Banned Firearms Before Slaughtering The People
ObamaCare Forbids Gun and Ammo Registration
Ha Ha Ha! Obamacare Senate Amendment Forbids Ammo and Gun Registration
Wyoming Lawmakers Propose ‘Gun Protection’ Legislation
Texas to Join Wyoming: Felony Charges for Enforcing New Gun Control
Utah Makes Arming Households a Top Priority
Obama Would Call on Military to Disarm Americans During National Emergency
Pravda tells America: Keep your guns
English Warning To Americans: DONT GIVE UP YOUR GUNS!
To DieOnMyFeet, what is the proof that guns prevent murders? Every time an incident such as this occurs, the debate is picked up again, Ban guns, ban high capacity magazines, ban this, do that, then nothing happens. Then someone shoots up aMcDonalds, or a school, then we shout all over again. On this subject, I have to say, guns can be useful, and fun. If you hunt, or like to sport shoot or something like that, they can be useful and fun when the user is trained and properly liscensed. An assualt rifle is another matter entirely. many people have these under the guise of self-protection. They heavily modify them and some peopel think they should be able to have any weapon and do whatever they want with them. These are the selfish people who don’t care about others. No different than a person who heavily modifies their personal car stereo so that it blasts 10,000 watts of music and shakes the windows of neighborhood homes. Or Mods a motorcycle to do crazy stunts up and down the highway in traffic. (I love cars and bikes.) But I also know that I have a responsibility to society not to abuse my right to do certain things. Some gun owners are very responsible and use their weapons as they are intended. Some, though feel they have the right to do whatever they want with them no matter what the resulting actions are. If you are a reasonable person, you should be able to see that some of these weapons never should be allowed on the streets and that certain people, should never be allowed to posses, or use a firearm.
Pingback: MSNBC Selectively Edits Video Of Sandy Hook Father To Claim Gun Rights Activists Heckled Him | askmarion
Very useful content, again, thanks.
Pingback: Ann Coulter Issues a Warning: Universal Background Checks Lead to Confiscation and Extermination (Video) | askmarion
Pingback: Year of the Political Snake | askmarion
Pingback: Urgent: impassioned campaign against gun violence interrupted for vacation and some golf lessons… Hmmm? | askmarion
Pingback: Letter from Columbine student to President Obama | askmarion
Interesting information you wrote here; keep posting please.
Pingback: We Are Hunting Humans Now? And the Bi-Partisan Goal of Banning Guns Slips Out… The War on Guns Has Begun! | askmarion
Pingback: Mark Kelly’s ‘AR-15 Stunt’ Provokes Gabby Giffords Gun Photos Leak | askmarion
Pingback: Fein-Stymied: Assault Weapons Ban Won’t Even Make It Into Final Gun Control Bill | askmarion
Pingback: Ten Thousand Patriots | askmarion
Pingback: Feinstein Anti-Gun Bill Defeated????… For Now… But Do Not Celebrate!! | askmarion
Pingback: Will Obama’s Exploitation of Newtown Families Force GOP to Cave on Gun Control? | askmarion