Doctor describes “horror” of Britain’s socialist healthcare system
A physician has told the British Medical Journal about the “unique horror” of watching a newborn baby shrivel up and die under a cost-cutting system of socialized healthcare that withdraws feeding tubes from sick and disabled babies, a method that could be replicated in the United States under Obamacare.
After speaking with doctors who have blown the whistle on how babies are being starved and dehydrated to death in British hospitals, an investigation by the Daily Mail has revealed that the controversial Liverpool Care Pathway end of life regime is being used to kill disabled newborns and young children. It was previously thought that the method was only being used on elderly and terminally ill adult patients.
The method has been criticized as a form of euthanasia because its primary purpose is to kill off patients quicker so as to free up more hospital beds and resources.
One physician spoke of how parents who gave permission for their babies to be put on the ‘pathway to death’ were making the decision without properly considering the abhorrent reality of what dehydration and starvation does to the human body.
“I know, as they cannot, the unique horror of witnessing a child become smaller and shrunken, as the only route out of a life that has become excruciating to the patient or to the parents who love their baby,” the doctor writes. “I reflect on how sanitised this experience seems within the literature about making this decision.”
The doctor also dismissed the myth that the baby does not suffer during the process.
“Survival is often much longer than most physicians think…..Parents and care teams are unprepared for the sometimes severe changes that they will witness in the child’s physical appearance as severe dehydration ensues,” he wrote.
“Some say withdrawing medically provided hydration and nutrition is akin to withdrawing any other form of life support. Maybe, but that is not how it feels,” he wrote, describing the mixture of “compassion, revulsion, and pain” the care team had to experience in watching the baby slowly die.
Bernadette Lloyd, a hospice paediatric nurse, also revealed how parents are being coerced into agreeing to put their children on the LCP, and that she “Witnessed a 14 year-old boy with cancer die with his tongue stuck to the roof of his mouth when doctors refused to give him liquids by tube. His death was agonising for him, and for us nurses to watch. This is euthanasia by the backdoor.”
“I have also seen children die in terrible thirst because fluids are withdrawn from them until they die,” added Lloyd.
Liverpool Care Pathway (LCP), now under independent investigation by order of government ministers, is a process whereby a doctor identifies a patient who is likely to die and that patient is then heavily sedated while treatment is withdrawn, “including the provision of water and nourishment by tube.”
The investigation into LCP will “look at whether cash payments to hospitals to hit death pathway targets have influenced doctors’ decisions” to put patients on the ‘pathway to death’.
In a recent exposé, Patrick Pullicino, a consultant neurologist for East Kent Hospitals and professor of clinical neurosciences at the University of Kent, revealed that of the 450,000 patients who die annually under the care of the NHS, 130,000 of them were on the Liverpool Care Pathway.
“If we accept the Liverpool Care Pathway we accept that euthanasia is part of the standard way of dying as it is now associated with 29 per cent of NHS deaths,” Pullicino said.
The Telegraph’s Gerald Warner notes that LCP represents “euthanasia by the back door.” Other doctors such as Dr. Peter Hargreaves have highlighted the fact that patients taken off LCP have gone on to live for “significant amounts of time.”
Because death occurs on average within 33 hours of a patient being put on LCP, the cost difference between two days of morphine and treatment of a condition for months or even years means the NHS is literally euthanising people to save money.
“In fact, Hargreaves noted, some patients may exhibit signs of dying when their bodies are merely reacting to sedation combined with dehydration and then “be wrongly put on the pathway.” Once a patient is sedated under the LCP, University of London geriatrics professor P.H. Millard told the Telegraph, “it is much harder to see that a patient is getting better.”
“Pullicino echoed many of these sentiments, saying that “patients are frequently put on the pathway without a proper analysis of their condition,” that “predicting death” at a specific time “is not possible scientifically,” and that, as a result, “very likely many patients who could live substantially longer are being killed by the LCP.”
Could a similar system of euthanasia become commonplace in America under Obamacare?
President Obama has repeatedly expressed his support for the Medicare Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB), a group of doctors that would make decisions on cost cutting measures under Obamacare. Opponents of government-run healthcare have dubbed this a system of “death panels” that would have the power to refuse treatment to the elderly or severely ill patients, a de-facto form of mandatory euthanasia.
Last month, Obama adviser Steven Rattner acknowledged that rationed healthcare would be part of Obamacare, brazenly stating, “We need death panels.”
The idea that “death panels” would be introduced through Obamacare as a means of rationing healthcare was also discussed during an Aspen Institute conference in 2010 when Obama supporter Bill Gates argued that money should not be spent on treating the elderly.
During a question and answer session, Gates implied that elderly patients undergoing expensive health care treatments should be killed and the money spent elsewhere.
Gates said there was a “lack of willingness” to consider the question of choosing between “spending a million dollars on that last three months of life for that patient” or laying off ten teachers.
“But that’s called the death panel and you’re not supposed to have that discussion,” added Gates.
This eugenicist mindset was also evident in a paper published earlier this year in the Journal of Medical Ethics by Alberto Giubilini of Monash University in Melbourne and Francesca Minerva at the Centre for Applied Philosophy and Public Ethics at the University of Melbourne which argued that abortion should be extended to make the killing of newborn babies permissible, even if the baby is perfectly healthy.
Allowing patients to die via the horrifically slow and painful method of dehydration and starvation is not just restricted to the elderly and sick or disabled babies.
In a series of best-selling books, author and bioethics expert Wesley J. Smith has exposed how adults in the United States who regain consciousness after being comatose and are able to exhibit physical and emotional responses are also being starved and dehydrated to death.
If America mimics Britain’s notoriously bad socialized healthcare system, thousands upon thousands of sick babies will likely be left to die excruciatingly painful deaths in the name of cost-cutting measures that amount to nothing less than a cruel and inhumane death sentence.
- Elderly To Be Euthanized Under Obamacare?
- Top UK doctor’s chilling claim: The NHS kills off 130,000 elderly patients every year
- Elderly Woman Left to Die Under Britain’s Death Care System
- Why My Doctor Hates Obamacare
- Death Panels are HERE
- Death on wheels: Dutch to send mobile clinics to euthanize people
- Sick babies denied treatment due to corp. patent on gene
- GlaxoSmithKline Fined Over Illegal Vaccine Experiments Killing 14 Babies
- Sentenced to death on the NHS
- Brit doctors admit practicing ‘slow euthanasia’ on terminally-ill patients
- Using ultrasounds to determine gestational age could result in baby’s death
- Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Obamacare
- Doctors Agree: Their Jobs Suck, and the Government is Largely To Blame
- Obama Embraces ‘Death Panel’ Concept in Medicare Rule
- On the Road to Death Panels
- ObamaCare for Seniors: Sorry, You’re Just Not Worth It
- “Death Panel” Three Years Later
- Meet the ObamaCare Mandate Committee
- Obamacare rationing panels an ‘immediate danger to seniors’: former AMA president
- “Death Panel” Three Years Later
- The Bilderberg Group’s Connection To Everything In The World – Updated
- People of Faith
- Hillary Clinton: Population Control Will Now Become the Centerpiece of U.S. Foreign Policy
- Bill Gates Confirms Population Reduction Through Vaccination on CNN
- Obama Regulation Czar, Cass Sunstein, Advocated Removing People’s Organs Without Explicit Consent
- Obama’s "Science Czar" Advocates De-Developing the US to World of Zero Growth
- Video: More Scary Stuff From Obama’s Science Czar
- Holdren Says Constitution Backs Compulsory Abortion
- Holdren: Seize Babies Born to Unwed Women
- List of Obama’s Czars Plus Two – Updated: 8.18.09 – Remember when the Czars were the hot topic… but they overwhelmed us and forgot them to do they scary dirty jobs…
- Science Czar John P. Holdren – Updated 9.2.09
- Meet Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel: Deny Coverage to Elderly an Disabled for the Greater Good – But don’t forget… Sarah Palin was crazy…
- Complete Lives System by Ezekial Emanuel
- ObamaCare… the Kiss of Death – Collection of OBAMA SCARE – Articles U CAN NOT MISS!
- Obama Embraces ‘Death Panel’ Concept in Medicare Rule
- Obamacare to Herd Disabled Seniors to Bare-Bones Medicaid Plans
- "People 70 and over will not be treated under Obamacare… and you thought DEATH PANELS were gone"– Updated
- Soylent Green Anyone???
- Great Grandmother Mary Allen Hardison: 101-Year-Old Woman Breaks Guinness World Record… Oldest Female to Paraglide Tandem
- Go Granny Go!!
- Seniors Left Behind?
- The ‘kill granny’ bill
- The Return of Mediscare
- Eliminate the Useless Eaters: A Disease of the Elitist Mind
- UN ordered depopulation of 3 billion people by food malnutrition has started – PBSpecial Report
- Checkout: ObamaCare Survival Guide