Mark Lloyd is a former senior fellow at George Soros’s Center for American Progress and a consultant to Soros’s Open Society Institute — and his plans at the FCC for equalizing air time for public with that of private radio with Seton Motley with the Media Research Center are frightening. Lloyd admires Hugo Chavez and his revolution in Venezuela. Mark Lloyd says that the first amendment (Freedom of Speech) is a distraction; localism is the way to go.
- The FCC’s new chief diversity officer laid out a battle plan two years ago for liberal activists to target conservative talk radio stations, and critics say they are concerned that he now will want to bring back the “Fairness Doctrine.”
- But now Lloyd has a plan that is more insidious than the “Fairness Doctrine”. First of all he realizes that people would watching for that and therefore it wouldn’t pass.
In his June 2007 report, The Structural Imbalance of Political Talk Radio, “and a subsequent essay,” Lloyd wrote: “Forget the Fairness Doctrine.”
Fox News quotes Motley:
- Seton Motley, director of communications for the Media Research Center, said Lloyd instructed liberals to file complaints against conservative stations in “Forget the Fairness Doctrine.”
“What he lays out is a battle plan to use the FCC to threaten stations’ licenses with whom they do not agree with politically, and now he’s at the FCC waiting to take their calls,” Motley told FOXNews.com. “This is not about serving the local interest, it’s about political opposition.”
Apparently Hugo Chavez’s glorious revolution is something to be admired in the Obama Administration. Obama seems to have no problem having Socialists and Communists in his Administration. So if you take Obama at his word with what he said during last years Presidential campaign, which was that you would be able know how he will govern on any one issue by the people that he surrounds himself with.
So does that mean that Obama will strike up a loving relationship with Hugo Chavez? (I guess that book sharing moment between Obama and Chavez was no accident.)
- [Lloyd] said the rise and influence of Rush Limbaugh and other conservative radio hosts were traced to “relaxed ownership rules” and other pro-business regulation that destroyed localism.
While he said he was not interested in reinstating the Fairness Doctrine, he called for “equal opportunity employment practices,” “local engagement” and “license challenges” to rectify the that perceived imbalance. “Nothing in there about the Fairness Doctrine,” he wrote.
“The other part of our proposal that gets the ‘dittoheads’ upset is our suggestion that the commercial radio station owners either play by the rules or pay. In other words, if they don’t want to be subject to local criticism of how they are meeting their license obligations, they should pay to support public broadcasters who will operate on behalf of the local community.”
Matt Cover at CNSNews.com adds that in the report Lloyd “concluded that 91% of talk radio programming is conservative and 9% is ‘progressive.’”
- The report argued that large corporate broadcasting networks had driven liberals off the radio, and that diversity of ownership would increase diversity of broadcasting voices.
George Fallon writes at RightPundits:
- In 2006 while at the liberal Center for American Progress Lloyd wrote a book entitled, Prologue to a Farce: Communication and Democracy in America . In the book he presents the idea the private broadcasters (private business) should pay a licensing [fee] which equals their total operating costs so that public broadcasting [stations] can spend the same on their operations as the private companies do. By doing so he hopes to improve the Corporation for Public Broadcasting currently at $400 Million for 2009.
Not only does he want to redistribute private profits, he wants to regulate much of the programming on these stations to make sure they focus on “diverse views” (Progressive Views) and government activities. I am all for that when I see on PBS a conservative voice next to Bill Moyers. And when I hear a conservative voice on NRP or just voice on NRP that sounds excited with some passion.
He suggests that large corporate broadcasting networks have driven liberals off of radio. His idea is that having diversity ownership will reflect diversity in programming. That is not true. Liberals drove themselves of radio because they have no ideas except doom and gloom and business owners do not want to be a part of that. Plus broadcast, like primetime television lives or dies based on ratings. Get low ratings and you are off the air.
Fallon gives us this April 26, 2006, video of Lloyd, senior fellow at the Center for American Progress and a former NBC and CNN producer, talking about the death of investigative TV news reporting — and his hopes for building an independent alternative.
Mark Lloyd proposes that conservative radio be taxed 100% of their operating budget, and if the can’t pay it, their license will be pulled and given to a progressive left-wing station. Then even if someone would be willing to pay their entire operating budget to run a station, there is a back-up plan, a series of fines to bankrupt the station. Is this America??
Posted: Marion’s Place
- College kids recruited to join Obama’s ‘army’
- Obama Says We Need National Civilian Security Forces. WHY?
- Is the National Civilian Security Force Obama Wants Americorp?
- Are SEIU and ACORN Forming Massive Organizations?
- Obama Advisor Van Jones – Self Avowed Communist
- Radicals in the Obama Administration. Radicals are Advisors!
- FCC Diversity Officer (Czar) Plans to Shut Down Free Speech ?
- Update on (Self-Avowed) Communist Green Jobs Czar Van Jones
- List of Obama’s Czars
- Meet Dr. Ezekiel Emanuel: Deny Coverage to Elderly and Disabled for the Greater Good
- Obama’s Rogues Gallery: Ezekiel Emanuel – Goodnight Grandma
- Complete Lives System by Ezekiel Emanuel
- Ezekiel Emanuel, architect of ObamaCare..please read
- Meet Your Science Czar
- Ghoulish Science Plus Obamacare Equals Health Hazard
- Absolutism Redux – Review of the Second Bill of Rights: FDR’s Unfinished Revolution and Why We Need It More Than Ever
- Michelle Obama’s Early Militant Racism Revealed
- Michelle Obama Thesis Was On Racial Divide
- Czar Watch: Radical in the White House? Obama’s Green ‘Czar’ Exposed
- Obama Official Linked to Racially Charged Boycott of GlennBeck
- Free Speech Under Siege
- Why the ‘O’-ministration will implode in weeks
- Culture of Corruption
- Glenn Beck’s Common Sense