McCartney Rocks Out to ‘Helter Skelter’ at the 48th Grammy Awards..
Gosh… Paul McCartney at the Grammy’s and The Rolling Stones at the Super Bowl. Exactly What year is this? A great year for the baby-boomers, I’d say!
"It’s the first time I’ve ever played the Grammys," Paul said, "and I’ve finally passed the audition. So I want to rock a bit."
McCartney and his backup band swung into the throat-shredding "Helter Skelter," one of the Beatles’ hardest-rocking songs. And he pulled it off: At one point the crowd seemed to applaud in simple appreciation that McCartney could hit the high notes on the line, "and I see you again."
He preceded it with "Fine Line," one of the highlights of his Grammy-nominated album "Chaos and Creation in the Backyard." It’s a pleasant song, and McCartney performed with more gusto than on the album. One demerit to the Grammy producers, who surrounded McCartney and his piano with distracting, head-spinning graphics.
Grammy highs — and lows
Madonna’s virtual duet with the animated Gorillaz surely left many scratching their heads.
(Photo by Richard Hartog / LAT)
By Jeff Miller,
Special to The Envelope – February 8, 2006
There were no crazed acceptance speeches, no wardrobe malfunctions and no Soy Bomb-style surprises at this year’s Grammy ceremony. But that doesn’t mean there weren’t plenty of memorable moments (and a few forgettable ones). Here, in the new tradition of the iPod shuffle mode, is a look back at the highs and lows from this year’s telecast:
Rowdiest performance: Paul McCartney and his band absolutely ripping through "Helter Skelter," like they were 40 years younger and the opening band at CBGB.
Least rowdy performance: John Legend, playing solo piano on the soul ballad "Ordinary People."
Best wannabe Mariah: Joss Stone, reaching for (and hitting) the high notes while singing "Family Affair."
Worst wannabe Mariah: Christina Aguilera, who needs to learn the meaning of the word "subtle." Her duet with Herbie Hancock on "A Song For You" redefined "turgid" and "bombastic." On second thought, maybe Mariah would be proud.
Strangest back-to-back performances: Legend’s "Ordinary People" — followed by the, well, sugary country of Sugarland. We know that iTunes is opening up genres, but, c’mon, that’s still a bit jarring.
*** Big Winner for the night… Bono and U-2 with 5 awards and Mariah Carey & Jon Legend with 3 apiece. American Idol’s Kelly Clarkson, also took home 2 surprise trophies. 108 Grammys were given out in all. ***
In his acceptance speech, U2 lead singer Bono did a roll call of the other nominees…
"This is our second ‘album of the year,’ but we’ve lost two, ‘Achtung Baby’ and ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind,’ so we know how it feels — Kanye, you’re next," Bono said. "And he’s a great artist, being on the road with us. Extraordinary. To be in the company of Paul McCartney, who discovered the country that we’re all living in, is a true honor indeed. Yes, sir. Mariah, you sing like an angel, really something else. And what about Gwen? This is the heart of Hollywood. She’s like Carole Lombard, she’s this extraordinary girl."
Make a Difference – Help Save The World From Brian Williams Style Journalism
Get Involved… Voting is a Must, But Not Enough!
The 2014 Mid-Terms were a sign that Americans are ready for a change and 2016 will define the future of America. So get involved! No more recycles... No more Clintons or Bushs! It is time for some new blood in Washington, D.C.
Reaganesque Sarah Palin is the Key for the GOP in 2016 to both beat Hillary and nullify the Dems' 'carrot' of electing the first female U.S. President!
Run Sarah Run... America Needs You!!
- Follow askmarion on WordPress.com
Palin Power 2014 – We Are Here To Save A Country
Run Sarah Run –> Join the Palin-Cruz 2016 Movement
Real Change… Checkout:
- Earth Day 2015 – 45th Anniversary… Looking Back
- Sarah Palin: Debunking the Myths of a Convention of States
- Forum: Should Federal Laws On Marijuana Be Changed?
- The Council Has Spoken – Our Watcher’s Council Results
- ISIS In Mexico, Means ISIS Is Here In The United States
- Our Weasel Of The Week!!
- Why The Gun Is Civilization
- Our Watcher’s Council Nominations – ‘Ready For Hillery’ Edition
- GOP Has Great Hopefuls… Needs Strategy
- Our Weasel Of The Week Nominees!!
- Forum: Are Negotiations With Iran Worth Continuing? Why or Why Not?
- Watcher’s Council Nominations: Bake And Submit Or Else Edition
- Our Weasel Of The Week Nominees!!
- Forum: Is Religious Freedom Seriously Threatened In America?
- The Council Has Spoken – April 3rd Results.
- Forum: What’s Your Take on The Bowe Bergdahl Situation? What Will The Outcome Be?
- Robert H. Schuller, Crystal Cathedral Megachurch Founder Has Died
- Watcher’s Council Nominations – Temper Tantrum Edition
- Our Weasel of The Week Nominees
- Forum: Is America In Decline? Why Or Why Not?
- Ted Cruz to be first to announce 2016 bid
- Obama and Kerry Seek to Finalize an Iranian Nuclear Deal as Nuclear Conflict Draws Near
- The Council Has Spoken!! Our Watcher’s Council Results 03.20.15
- Our Weasel of the Week!! 03.19.15
- Iran & Hezbollah Off Terror List – On The Record
- Nevada Law Would Make ‘Pot for Pets’ Legal